Why We Use Ductile Iron and PVC Pipes
Though ductile iron pipe has been in use since 1955, its predecessor – gray cast iron pipe – traces its lineage all the way back to the year 1455 in Siegerland, Germany. PVC pipe comes from the discovery of polyvinyl chloride in the 1800s and was deployed in Europe and America a few decades later.
So why offer the history lesson? The reason is simple. Ductile iron and PVC pipe comprise a large amount of the more than 1,400 miles of water pipe underneath Rutherford County. Your home’s water supply likely runs through one or both of them. Here is a quick list of the qualities of these pipes:
• Considered the choice for modern water and wastewater systems
• Offers great strength, durability, and reliability for transporting raw and potable water.
• Withstands demanding conditions, including frozen ground, deep trenches, heavy traffic areas, river crossings, rocky ditches, and unstable soils.
• Virtually maintenance free
• Minimum strength requirements of 60,000 psi tensile strength, 42,000 psi yield strength, and 10 percent minimum elongation.
• Ability to bend under load greatly increases its resistance to beam load
• Needs no external corrosion protection.
• Easy to install in the field
• Wide variety of joints and standard fittings available for every application
• Resistant to almost all types of corrosion—both chemical and electrochemical—that are found in underground piping systems
• Cannot be damaged by aggressive waters or corrosive soils
• No lining, coating, cathodic protection, or plastic encasement required when installed
• Nearly totally resistant to attack from microorganisms (fungi or bacteria) or macroorganisms (grass roots, termites, or rodents)
• High strength-to-weight ratio and is a good electrical and thermal insulator
• Allows for maximum water pressure flow, which helps stop the potential stoppages in sewage and wastewater systems
McWane Ductile: https://www.mcwaneductile.com/products/ductile-iron-pipe/
Ductile Iron Pipe Research Association: https://downloads.ctfassets.net/e4roza01bro8/5nncNovA06d1im1meDExvV/553017f20dedf78586e5793bbc0c1939/General-DuctileIronPipe.pdf
AWWA Manual M23: https://www.awwa.org/portals/0/files/publications/documents/samples/30023_excerpt.pdf
International Polymer Solutions: https://www.ipolymer.com/pdf/PVC.pdf