We are currently experiencing technical difficulties regarding our credit card payments through our automated phone system and are aware of the issue. If you are unable to make a credit card payment, please contact our office during the business hours of 8:00am until 4:30pm for a representative to assist you. You may also log into your account online to process a payment as well. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we are working to correct the issue. Thank you.



Leak Information

Leak Adjustments

You may request an adjustment if you have a water leak on your account. To qualify for an adjustment, your water usage has to be at least twice the normal monthly average. CUD assists a customer once a year with an adjustment. You must complete a CUD leak adjustment form. An adjustment will be made after the repair and your bill has returned to normal usage. You will be notified via mail as to the adjustment that was made on your account.(Click here for leak form)


How to check for a leak:


Things you can check:

Reading your water meter

READING YOUR WATER METER from Adams Mabry Swann on Vimeo.